Your new tattoo will be somewhat tender and feel like a new sunburn.
How you care for it in the first few days determines the way it will look forever.
WHAT TO DO:
- Leave the tattoo bandaged for one hour. If the bandage is stuck to the tattoo, gently remove it while under running water, therefore reducing the risk of damaging the tattoo.
- Once the bandage is removed, using an unscented soap, wash the tattoo off well with warm soapy water.
- When done washing the tattoo off, gently pat dry with a clean towel and allow the tattoo to air dry for 5-10 minutes.
- Apply Fragrance Free Lotion to the tattoo 2-3 times a day in a very, very thin layer until the tattoo is completely done peeling. If you can see the lotion, you put on too much.
- Somewhere between 3-6 days, the tattoo will start to flake off like tissue paper. Do not pick at or scratch it.
- Let the skin peel naturally. You will notice small pieces of dry skin containing color coming off while using the lotion or washing the tattoo. This is normal – it is just a top layer of dead skin coming off. Your tattoo is not disappearing.
- DO NOT re-bandage the tattoo.
- DO NOT let direct sunlight onto your tattoo for the first 2-3 weeks.
- DO NOT pick or scratch tattoo while it’s healing; no washcloth, loofa or sponge to wash it either.
- DO NOT soak the tattoo for 2 weeks. No swimming, baths, hot tubs or sauna for 2 weeks (taking shower is okay)
- DO NOT shave or wax the tattooed areas until the tattoo completely healed.
- DO NOT use Vaseline or other petroleum products.
- DO NOT use iodine, peroxide, or alcohol-based products.
- DO NOT listen to friends or so-called tattoo experts. If you have questions, call or visit the artist that did your tattoo.
- Once you leave the shop, proper care of your tattoo is entirely your responsibility.
- Small amount of color may appear on clothing or sheets for the first few days.
- When tattoo is peeling, color will appear in pieces of dry skin.
- If the tattoo is in the area where it can be exposed to the air, allow it to breathe. If possible, wear loose fitting clothing over tattoo and be careful not to suffocate tattoo with sock or pantyhose.
Please call (704) 537-3217 if you have any questions regarding your healing. We are here to help!